Герои Уничтоженных Империй  
Welcome Guest

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Heroes of Annihilated Empires » Help & Support » Description of how HOAE will work and what stack overflow is (HOAE on win7 64 bit and others with new graphic cards)
Description of how HOAE will work and what stack overflow is
sozaDate: Thursday, 2011-10-06, 6:49 PM | Message # 1
Apprentice
Group: Users
Awards: 0
First of all, hello guys. I tried a long time to get this game going on my pc. I read many about memory and overflows and other suggestions in forums about HOAE. But i find a way that works allways!

my System (important for HOAE)

Win7 64 bit Ultimate
AMD Phenom 1090t (6 cores) -> normally too many cores
ram: 8 GB -> normally make troubles
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ -> normally no support

BUT WITH THE FOLLOWING METHOD COMBINATION IT WILL WORK FOR YOU ALL:

You have to make this all, and some changes just everytime when you will play HOAE. but this is done fast!

1.) You have to deactivate the win7 "AERO" Design and change it to a non-aero design like win7 classic! The AERO design dont lets the videos play of HOAE, because old algorithm in game.... but too complicated... ;-)
2.) You have to change the windows7 screen resolution!!!! to 1024x768 (when this dont work, take another low resoultion, maybe like 1024x ... or 1080x or 800x600 .... ( iknow, you have to change the resolution allways back to lower when you will play HOAE, but thats reality!) the right resolution is the key
3.) + 4.) (like in other topics:
1. In the Start menu go to " Run " then run the program " MSCONFIG ".

2. In the new pop-up go to the second flap called " Start " and then press "Advanced Options".

3. Tick the box on the right side of the new pop that says something like "Maximum Memory" and set it to a max of 2000 or lower. VERY IMPORTANT

---> but thats not all!!! now you have to change the number of cores to 1, too!! and then:
4. Save and restart.

Now you will be able to see the videos and the game will run. IF Not, you didnt everything. be sure, everything is changed.

BUT!!! :
When you are playing with many enemys like 3 or 4 players, or when you play the mod rise of sols with many players, te memory will overflow and the game will crash. It doesnt matter to load an older savegame, because the memory will crash again when population and spawning reach critical number! The reason is the programming of the game and so on....
When many units spawn the memory will more and more, than will be overflow!(in really short terms)
So, i have to say, that there is no way to fix it easily in the present. Because its deeper architecture.

You will allways be able to play skirmish with totally 2 players. When you play with more players, it will crash maybe before you end the game. With 4 players, forget it, frustrating! I give you 1 hour.
Keep attention when playing mods like rise and sols. That is a really nice mod and thanks a lot!, but because of the unlimited population caps and the quantity of units, this games will crash much earlier.

So when you will have guaranteed fun just play the campage and skirmish with totally 2 players. maybe 3. But when you use a mod, maybe totally 2 players wont work after 1 hour....

AND: never never turn on the autosavefunction! not saving would be the best at all. The autosaving is doing something to get the game crashing earlier. I dont know why....

So guys, have fun!

ps: dont need of using the "special" patches!!!

by the way, this all fixed following problem messages:

- agp blablabla memory
- black screen
- too low memory
it fixed everything. but the overflow will come once ;-)
Maybe there is a real good debugger who could programming a bit the game code an fix (change) the meory handling architecture and support for more cores

Message edited by soza - Thursday, 2011-10-06, 7:34 PM

FlameMasterDate: Friday, 2011-10-07, 0:48 AM | Message # 2
Archmage
Group: Administrators
Awards: 21
Hi, Welcome to the Forums,
Though I admire the method, I cannot find anything different from what's already here "http://hoae.ucoz.net/forum/2-33-1" on Step 2 other than perhaps the cores.
I can play HoAE without crashes for very long with 3+ players, it seems the problem is with how the game interacts with your PC or the RoS version is older considering what I have I guess...but please do take time to read that stickie thread smile
Peace smile

"A Hopeless heart is the Devil's workshop"

sozaDate: Friday, 2011-10-07, 1:47 AM | Message # 3
Apprentice
thanks, but i know that thread. but with this solutions it didint work for me. just the right combination of deactivating aero and changing resolution with max2gig and 1 core worked.

But just one question:

what system do you have? win7? 32 bit? ram? cores? graphics?

dont you ever have the overflow crashing message?

FlameMasterDate: Friday, 2011-10-07, 1:49 AM | Message # 4
Archmage
I have a Win 7 32bit System. I had the crashing messages long while back, Now its a rare event unless I mess up.

sozaDate: Friday, 2011-10-07, 2:03 AM | Message # 5
Apprentice
unless you mess up? what does that mean?

thx

FlameMasterDate: Friday, 2011-10-07, 2:05 AM | Message # 6
Archmage
Means unless I make a bad change to the game's mechanics, in which case I get an instant crash! tongue

Forum » Heroes of Annihilated Empires » Help & Support » Description of how HOAE will work and what stack overflow is (HOAE on win7 64 bit and others with new graphic cards)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Legend: |Administrator| |Moderator| |Modder| |Tester| |Banned