• Page 1 of 1
Forum » Heroes of Annihilated Empires » General » Dwarf Strategy
Dwarf Strategy
BlaziusDate: Thursday, 2012-11-15, 6:43 AM | Message # 1
Apprentice
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Hello everyone!

I wonder if somebody could help me with some advice on playing the Dwarf race( I know there isn't much activity).

I got this game from GOG and enjoying it very much. I'm usually playing undead( my fav fantasy creatures) and I got pretty good with them, able to beat the hard AI consistently in RTS mode and wipe out a whole map of hard AIs with the Lich which is super fun and epic.

Now my friend also got the game from GOG so we can play multiplayer( actually thats why I was practicing on the AIs). He is as much of a Dwarf fan as I'm an undead fan and refuses to play anything but Dwarf RTS. Now this'd be fine in itself but the problem is that he horribly sucks with them. We went coop last time, me a Lich, he Dwarf RTS and the match ended up with me constantly saving him from annihilation and basically fighting alone. Of course he got pissed off and asked me to try the Dwarfs to see if I can manage better.

The problem is that I got my ass handed to me as well despite my successes as undead. wacko

My usual strategy is building a town center first then a shooting range which I set to produce troops all the time. Then I start gathering wood, I build a farm then mines then I try to produce a clay golem as soon as possible. The problem? Comes the first yeti wave( we usually fight Cryo), troops shoot one volley, kill a bunch of enemy but while they reload they get wiped out. Comes the clay golem which isn't that pricey but oddly you can only build one. So theres a limit? So he must be very powerful right? Well the yetis rape him too..... My experience is that dwarven units are slower to build, more pricey and WEAKER than their undead counterparts for example. How am I supposed to win with them?

My hunch is either that they are the "hard to master but impossible to beat later on" race or totally unplayable. IDK maybe I'm trying too hard to play them as undead but then what about my buddy?

So could anybody help me with how are we supposed to play the Dwarfs RTS mode, maybe a build order or something? Of course the worst is that I've found absolutely nothing on the net about this game. Not a guide, not even a stupid unit list sad

Thanks in advance!

FlameMasterDate: Saturday, 2012-12-01, 10:36 PM | Message # 2
Archmage
Group: Administrators
Awards: 21
Hey, sorry for the late reply, Welcome to the forums smile

- Dwarfs are very hard to develop. They can absolutely lay waste to infantry if you can get a hold of some of their cannons and tanks.

- Did you try to give the "Melee" order to the Marksmen (Dwarf shooters)? They are good at Melee. Also do the researches in Town Center or in the Barracks

- The Clay Golem is limited to the number of Clay Factories you have. Later you can upgrade them to Steam and Iron factories and produce Steam and Iron Golems. However they only get powerful with upgrades you research at the Wizard Tower.
- Try to build the towers. The Mechanics have good tower defense. Although I am unsure whether you could afford them early game.

You can ask me more if you'd like I can give you info you need smile .

"A Hopeless heart is the Devil's workshop"

fishfish62Date: Friday, 2016-12-30, 8:07 AM | Message # 3
Apprentice
alternatively, you could play the dwarven ranger, and just brute force your way through the game, as he's grossly over powered.

matthias-hollDate: Thursday, 2018-09-27, 12:09 PM | Message # 4
Apprentice
I know I'm "a bit" late, but since there isn't much activity whatsoever on any (at least non-ukrainian/-russian) forums and I also had some trouble understanding how the Dwarves are supposed to work, I thought that I could just add some ideas myself. I have invested some time in the campaign the last few days, but the overly large maps and the unending kiting as well as the (in my opinion) weak writing, have made me quit it. Which wasn't the worst decision since I simply enjoy skirmish much more. Especially since these factions and there differences are very interesting. Also, please keep in mind that I have only invested a combined 15 hours in the game so far, so a lot of what I'm writing should be regarded with some caution.

So, some first impressions on the mechanicians/dwarves:

In my opinion, the key issue with the dwarves seems to be their apparent lack of an efficient melee unit. Golems with upgrades are surprisingly resistant to damage, but they don't exactly make for a very good protective frontline. And after some tries of using the gunners in melee mode I feel like it's a waste to even try. As far as I can tell, they do more damage in ranged combat and they simply die too fast in melee. Especially considering how relatively slow they build. On top of it, the armor of the gunners isn't great and upgrades are expensive. And what is it good for? Dying a bit more slowly when putting them into melee. If I remember correctly they already start out with good protection against archers and the rest doesn't seem that important.  In my opinion one should only try to upgrade their ranged firepower and nothing else.

But the key factor is another one. It's not that difficult to figure out, but since nobody seems to be writing any advice in english-speaking forums or even better - putting guides or walkthroughs online - I'll just add some thoughts here instead. It concerns the Militia-workers of the dwarves. A first look at them will show that they are in fact a bit tougher than gunners and they start out with very good piercing protection. Their melee damage is just ok, but 10 is still better than the 6 of Gunners. Now, you might say: "But all their other armor values are shit!" To which I will say: "Put down the research building and voila, suddenly there is a new upgrade in the town center, which adds +8 (WTF?!?) to all the armor values of Militia." :-)

Put down a second town center and a second shooting range and keep producing non-stop, get the golems and some of the better upgrades, like the armor-upgrade for all golems and you should be set. And of course the tank is ridiculous against the undead masses. Kill count in the hundreds shouldn't be too difficult biggrin

FlameMasterDate: Sunday, 2018-10-21, 3:14 AM | Message # 5
Archmage
Group: Administrators
Awards: 21
Quote matthias-holl ()
But the key factor is another one. It's not that difficult to figure out, but since nobody seems to be writing any advice in english-speaking forums or even better - putting guides or walkthroughs online - I'll just add some thoughts here instead. It concerns the Militia-workers of the dwarves. A first look at them will show that they are in fact a bit tougher than gunners and they start out with very good piercing protection. Their melee damage is just ok, but 10 is still better than the 6 of Gunners. Now, you might say: "But all their other armor values are shit!" To which I will say: "Put down the research building and voila, suddenly there is a new upgrade in the town center, which adds +8 (WTF?!?) to all the armor values of Militia." :-)
OMG, ROFL! I wish there was someone who could do 3d models. Dwarves need a solid melee and 'cavalry' line.

"A Hopeless heart is the Devil's workshop"

matthias-hollDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-13, 2:07 AM | Message # 6
Apprentice

OMG, ROFL! I wish there was someone who could do 3d models. Dwarves need a solid melee and 'cavalry' line.

Admittedly, after playing some more, it's clear that one is just supposed to get a second set of Golems. Still, I remember a close game against an elven AI where pulling a few dozen Militia from ressource collection repeatedly to protect my Marksman, did in fact save me the game. But if it's easily possible to expand then more Golems seem like the obvious option.

Forum » Heroes of Annihilated Empires » General » Dwarf Strategy
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Legend: |Administrator| |Moderator| |Modder| |Tester| |Banned