Blank InGame Video Bug (BIG VB)
This bug affects "Windows Vista" and "Windows 7" when Aero is turned on. The Ingame videos do not show up, instead a black screen appears and the sound plays in the background. The reason for this is that the video and audio format is separate in Heroes of Annihilated Empires. The video is in ".ogv" format and the audio in ".oga" format. The video rendering shader component malfunctions when "Aero" is turned on and this can be fixed easily by following these steps:
1) Right Click the engine.exe then go to "Properties".
2) Under the Compatibility tab, make sure you run it in compatibility for "Windows XP", with "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Run as Administrator" checked.
3) Apply the settings and play the game.
This would instantly dump Aero when the engine initiates. Which makes the ingame videos run as intended.
--Problem with Playback Device--
This is a fix posted by slay3rdb, which reads
if u have any HDMI or similar stuff plugged in thats what did it for me and make sure the playback default is your speakers to change ur default play back device right click on the little speaker choose playback devices and the speakers you use as for HDMI its pretty self explanatory if ur pc is hooked into a tv and u can put ur audio and/or video on it ur using HDMI unplug it for that to work that was my problems anyways hope it helps =)
--Fix by Darvin76--
1) Make sure you have the latest DirectX installed or use the Fix 1.1 with a proxy D3D file
2) Make sure you have MS Visual C redistributable 2005 - get a Service pack version recommended by the author here
3) Make sure in the Nvidia Control panel, VSync is not set to 'fast'
Here is the original post by the author